Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Thank you for another great retreat weekend- new recipe to share!

Thank you ladies for another fantastic retreat weekend in the mountains. So much fun.

I always love the opportunity to try out new recipes- this one is definitely a winner. It is from The Pioneer Woman's A Year of Holidays cookbook. Fantastic recipes and step by step photos.

Her cookbooks are fantastic, especially for beginning cooks.

I made her Everything Bagel and Cream Cheese Baked French Toast. Kind of an overnight bread pudding- but savory. It was delish. I promised everyone the recipe so here it is:

The Pioneer Woman's Bagel and Cream Cheese Baked French Toast

6 Everything Bagels-I used 3 sesame and 3 onion
Butter for greasing pan
One 8oz. Package Cream Cheese
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream-I used half and half
1 Tbls chopped chives, plus more for serving- I didn't put in
1 tsp. Dry mustard
1/2 tsp. Cayenne-I didn't put in
1/2 tsp. Salt

Grease 9x13 casserole dish with butter. Tear bagels into pieces and place in casserole dish. In separate bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cream, cayenne, chives, mustard, and salt. Meanwhile, cut block of cream cheese into small squares and place them all over top of bagels in various places (note: whole top will not be covered). Pour egg mixture all over bagels. Sprinkle cheddar cheese all over. Cover with foil and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Bake 450 degrees for 45 minutes, uncover and finish baking 15 to 20minutes more. Cut and serve with extra chives...

I should have baked this in a clear glass pan because I overbaked it and the bottom and sides got really really really done (that is a nice way of saying almost burned)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment